Copenhagen, Denmark, 08 June 2023 – This evening, MSC Cruises will officially name MSC Euribia, its much-anticipated new flagship - a vessel which features the most energy-efficient cruise ship design ever.
The celebratory Naming Ceremony event will take place in Copenhagen Port tonight, honouring traditional maritime heritage, presented by renowned Danish television host, actress and model Sarah Grünewald
The ship is MSC Cruises’ second vessel powered by LNG, the cleanest marine fuel currently commercially available at scale. On board, she boasts a range of best-in-class environmental technology, including advanced onboard wastewater treatment systems and waste management handling. She has also been designed with the future in mind, allowing her to easily incorporate future innovations in sustainability, such as carbon-neutral synthetic and other alternative fuels as soon as they are available at scale.
MSC Euribia is expected to be the most energy-efficient cruise ship design in the world at the time of her launch*. During her maiden voyage, MSC Euribia completed a net zero GHG emissions journey from St Nazaire to Copenhagen benefiting from the emissions reductions allowed by the bio-LNG and application of the mass balance approach.
Joining tonight’s ceremony are distinguished guests from around the world, key travel partners and international media, as well as top management from MSC Cruises and its parent company MSC Group.
Godmother of MSC Cruises’ fleet and globally recognised screen legend, Sophia Loren, will also be in attendance to officially name the ship, continuing her long-standing close relationship with MSC Cruises.
The momentous occasion will include live entertainment and speeches combined with the important maritime tradition of cutting the ribbon to break a bottle of champagne over the ship’s bow. Guests will also be treated to a gourmet gala dinner and unforgettable performances, including a spectacular DJ set by Bob Sinclar, internationally acclaimed French DJ and record producer, who will close out the evening.
The special event will give guests the first look at the revolutionary new ship’s cutting-edge design and various world-class guest experiences.
MSC Euribia begins sailings in Northern Europe this summer with 7-night sailings from Kiel, Germany and Copenhagen, Denmark to the captivating Norwegian Fjords, including Geiranger, Ålesund, and Flaam.
To find out more about MSC Cruises’ Northern Europe itinerary options, please click here
About MSC Euribia
is the 22nd vessel in the MSC Cruises fleet, spanning 19 decks, 43 metres wide, with 2,419 cabins and boasting 35,000m2 of public space. MSC Euribia is named after the ancient goddess Eurybia who harnessed the winds, weather and constellations to master the seas, furthering the vision of the ship to master the deployment of state-of-the-art technologies to protect and preserve the precious marine ecosystem.
The trailblazing ship is the second LNG-powered vessel in the fleet and the most innovative and environmentally advanced ship to date and for the first time, strikes a new silhouette with an exclusive customised fresco entitled, #SaveTheSea, painted on her exterior that celebrates MSC Cruises’ ongoing dedication to the sea and commitment to achieve net zero emissions by 2050. As a Meraviglia-Plus ship, MSC Euribia offers an abundance of dynamic guest experiences with innovative features, facilities and enriching entertainment for the whole family.
Key highlights include:
- NEW! Located in the aft of the ship, The Carousel Lounge is reinvented with a new layout, offering even more stunning panoramic ocean views, allowing guests to relax during the day or participate in a range of leisure activities as well as enjoy a variety of live music every evening including from the Big Band at Sea - one of the largest big bands at sea.
- A revolutionary kids’ area will feature 700 sqm of interior space entirely dedicated to kids and teenagers with seven rooms, each catered to different age groups from 0 – 17 years and for the first time will include the NEW! MSC Foundation Lab - offers a brand-new kids area and programme of activities dedicated to educate children and teenagers about environmental topics.
- NEW! Guest can choose between 10 dining venues which includes five speciality restaurants with the exciting brand-new Le Grill, a stylish French bistro meets steakhouse and Kaito Sushi & Robatayaki, a mainstay of MSC Cruises that features a Robatayaki for the first time.
- NEW! Experience the artwork, Street. 2023, by renowned British artist Julian Opie in l’Atelier du Voyageur bar. The artwork, commissioned specifically for MSC Euribia, is an expansive 11 x 2 m purpose-built LED screen featuring walking figures in Opie’s distinctive style.
- An impressive five pools and the ship’s very own coral theme Ocean Cay AquaPark, one of the largest and most elaborate waterparks at sea, with three water slides for endless fun.
- The 945-seat Delphi Theatre offers world-class live entertainment every evening with a full seven-day programme of big-production shows.
- The ship offers 21 bars and lounges with five outdoor and 16 indoor areas to meet the needs and preferences of all.
- Guests will have the opportunity to explore and connect at Galleria Euribia, the longest LED Dome at sea, with an array of shops, restaurants and entertainment to discover.
*MSC Euribia is expected to be the most energy-efficient cruise ship in the world, performing beyond the latest IMO Energy Efficiency Design Index (EEDI) requirements. When in service, the vessel emits up to 19% less greenhouse gas emissions per passenger per day than her sisterships which use conventional marine fuels. This amounts to 44% less greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions per passenger per day than cruise ships built for MSC Cruises only 10 years ago.